Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Shooting Hummingbirds


Yesterday evening was my first real attempt to photograph hummingbirds and I now have a new appreciation for the task. You probably noticed that both of the shots were taken while the birds were at rest. No small wonder here. Turns out shooting hummingbirds in flight with at 500MM lens handheld is a little challenging, especially when that lens weighs in a 4 1/2 pounds! I will be working on a shooting strategy this week to try and get closer with a lighter and brighter lens.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm here with ya... Its turning into a daily sport for me... I had to resort to building a "hummingbird photo bar" with small feeders hanging down in the middle of back yard and catching them while they feed. The love the small feeders... Turns out that they dont mind me standing 6' away. They play with each other feed about every minute...

I was able to catch a few at 600mm yesterday...

http://blog.pancamo.com/2010/09/humming-at-600mm-full-frame.html